Wednesday, September 26, 2007

79% sure...what?!

Peter and I went to the doctor on Tuesday for the 22 week check up. If you read my blog, you may remember the post about our last doctor's appointment when Dr. Clark said he was 80% sure that we will be having a boy. He wasn't able to tell for sure because the umbilical cord was running through his crossed legs. In conversation on Tuesday, Dr. Clark asked us if we are having a boy or girl, and I reminded him of the percentage he gave us. I also told him that I was past the denial that there was a 20% chance that it could really be a girl. At that comment, he said that we could take a look again and did a sonogram for us. I was very surprised because previously he said that we wouldn't be able to have another sonogram for a while. So far, we have had 4 doctors visits and 4 sonograms...I am loving seeing our sweet baby so much!

As he was looking at the screen, he seemed even more perplexed than last time. He said that the baby was in such a bad position and it was impossible to tell either way...boy or girl. I just kind of laughed because a month ago that answer was not good enough for me. For some reason, I was okay with that answer on Tuesday. But Dr. Clark was determined to make the baby change positions so he could tell for sure...it was a challenge for him. He spent what seemed like a minute pushing on my stomach to try to get him to spread his legs open wide. He thought that he saw something, so he declared that he was 79% sure that it is indeed a boy....but then again, the umbilical cord was in the way of any boy parts.

Peter and I left that appointment agreeing that Dr. Clark seemed even more unsure about the sex of the baby than last time. Luckily, he is allowing us to do another sono next month. He did say that it will get harder to tell as time goes on because the baby won't be able to move around if he's not in a good position. I will try not to obsess about this over the next month, but I am not one to want a surprise at birth! Just thought I would update you about the 1% change :)

7 comments:

Anonymous said...

I have a two year old and am 20 weeks pregnant. We found out last week that our precious little girl (in my mind) was a precious little BOY. I couldn't believe it! Of course I am now happy about "my boys".

But you still have a glimmer of hope out there, even if it is only a 21% chance it's a girl.

Amanda said...

Holy cow! I don't even know how I'd be feeling about this. It's kind of unfair that you even have to question it!

Eliza said...

I know that you don't know me, but you could always get one of the 3D sonograms at a specialized place. We did that with Noah and it was great...plan on doing that with our newest one-to-be too! They take time to find out for you, you get tons of pictures and a DVD! It was so much fun!

I had a friend that was told a girl and when the birth happened...? A boy was there instead! I am so fearful that would happen to me!! Talk about a shocker!

I love reading your blog, my son is about the same age as yours...

Just a lurker...

MamaCass said...

That would drive me crazy! Maybe this is God's way of telling you it's a girl.

Lauren said...

Oh how funny! I would have been so frustrated! They told us ours is a boy, but I am paranoid that he'll actually be a girl and we'll have to figure out what to do with all this boy stuff. (Of course, then I'd have the rest of her life to do girly things, but you know what I mean.)

Kristin said...

Oh my gosh!!! Dr. Clark is killing me with all of this uncertainty! It is awesome that you get to keep having sonograms though! I can't wait till we get to lay eyes on that little one and know 100%!!!

Sunni at The Flying Mum said...

Well then...I guess you won't be painting a room blue quite yet! Kind of fun that it's still a surprise!